I have been having a craving for baby corn of late and this is one recipe I enjoyed cooking and serving my family. I hope you enjoy it too! I found this recipe in the Young Times magazine's "Health" column by Sanjeev Kapoor under the article "The gifted garlic". Did you know that garlic-based cures were first used by the Egyptians who were the first to practice medicine as we know it today. For them, the garlic bulb represented the cosmos; the extra skins the various stages of heaven and hell; the arrangement of the cloves represented the Solar System and eating garlic, therefore, symbolised the union of man and the universe, nourishing not only the body, but also the spirit. Now when you look at a clove of garlic, you know the story behind it and a little bit more than a layman does;-) Enjoy the dish!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 20 -25 baby corn, washed, trimmed and cut diagonally into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons cornflour
- 3 tablespoons oil
- oil, to deep fry
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, washed, stems removed, deseeded and cut into 1/2 inch sized pieces
- 1/2 medium red bell peppers or 1/2 medium yellow bell pepper, stems removed, de-seeded and cut into 1/2 inch sized pieces
- 2 -3 whole red chilies, stems removed
- 1 spring onion, washed, trimmed and finely sliced
- 1 medium onion, peeled, washed and cut into quarters
- 10 -12 garlic cloves, peeled, washed and finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red chili paste
- 1 tablespoon hot black bean paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1Sprinkle 2 tbsp cornflour over the baby corn in a bowl and mix well.
- 2If it is too dry, sprinkle 2 tbsp of water.
- 3Heat enough oil in a wok to deep fry the baby corn.
- 4Once the oil is hot, deep-fry the baby corn for 3-4 minutes or until it is crisp on either side.
- 5Drain on clean absorbent paper kitchen towels.
- 6Break the red chillies into two.
- 7Separate each layer of the quartered onions.
- 8Blend 2 tbsp cornflour in a cup of water.
- 9Heat oil in a wok. Add the red chillies and chopped garlic. Stir-fry it briefly.
- 10Add tomato sauce, vinegar, red chili paste, hot black bean paste, sugar and salt to taste.
- 11Now, gently stir in the vegetable stock.
- 12Cook on high heat for a minute.
- 13Add onions and bell peppers. Cook for 10 more minutes, stirring every 2 or 3 minutes.
- 14Stir in the blended cornflour. Cook until the mixture starts to thicken.
- 15Add the deep fried baby corn.
- 16Toss well to coat.
- 17Now, drizzle sesame oil and sprinkle red chili flakes over it.
- 18Serve hot with hot garlic fried rice!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Awesome Hot Garlic Baby Corn
Serving Size: 1 (134 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 200.6
- Calories from Fat 129
- Total Fat 14.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 118.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 2.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red chili paste
black bean paste