Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I have been having a craving for baby corn of late and this is one recipe I enjoyed cooking and serving my family. I hope you enjoy it too! I found this recipe in the Young Times magazine's "Health" column by Sanjeev Kapoor under the article "The gifted garlic". Did you know that garlic-based cures were first used by the Egyptians who were the first to practice medicine as we know it today. For them, the garlic bulb represented the cosmos; the extra skins the various stages of heaven and hell; the arrangement of the cloves represented the Solar System and eating garlic, therefore, symbolised the union of man and the universe, nourishing not only the body, but also the spirit. Now when you look at a clove of garlic, you know the story behind it and a little bit more than a layman does;-) Enjoy the dish!
- 20 -25 baby corn, washed, trimmed and cut diagonally into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons cornflour
- 3 tablespoons oil
- oil, to deep fry
- 1⁄2 medium green bell pepper, washed, stems removed, deseeded and cut into 1/2 inch sized pieces
- 1⁄2 medium red bell peppers or 1⁄2 medium yellow bell pepper, stems removed, de-seeded and cut into 1/2 inch sized pieces
- 2 -3 whole red chilies, stems removed
- 1 spring onion, washed, trimmed and finely sliced
- 1 medium onion, peeled, washed and cut into quarters
- 10 -12 garlic cloves, peeled, washed and finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red chili paste
- 1 tablespoon hot black bean paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon red chili pepper flakes
- Sprinkle 2 tbsp cornflour over the baby corn in a bowl and mix well.
- If it is too dry, sprinkle 2 tbsp of water.
- Heat enough oil in a wok to deep fry the baby corn.
- Once the oil is hot, deep-fry the baby corn for 3-4 minutes or until it is crisp on either side.
- Drain on clean absorbent paper kitchen towels.
- Break the red chillies into two.
- Separate each layer of the quartered onions.
- Blend 2 tbsp cornflour in a cup of water.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add the red chillies and chopped garlic. Stir-fry it briefly.
- Add tomato sauce, vinegar, red chili paste, hot black bean paste, sugar and salt to taste.
- Now, gently stir in the vegetable stock.
- Cook on high heat for a minute.
- Add onions and bell peppers. Cook for 10 more minutes, stirring every 2 or 3 minutes.
- Stir in the blended cornflour. Cook until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Add the deep fried baby corn.
- Toss well to coat.
- Now, drizzle sesame oil and sprinkle red chili flakes over it.
- Serve hot with hot garlic fried rice!
ur recipe was lovely ....surprisingly i happened to learn this same recipe in a top cooking class with hardly any changes..thanx for the great recipe