Recipe by Gingerbee
I serve these wonderful tea scones with homemade strawberry jam and Devonshire clotted cream and they are the highlight of the afternoon tea I serve my guests. Incredibly easy to make and fast to disappear. I hope you'll try them and if you don't have clotted cream available, serve whipped heavy cream with jam of your choice. Enjoy!
- 1 2⁄3 cups self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (cut into bits)
- 1 large egg
- 5 ounces milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Add the butter and blend the mixture until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- In a bowl, beat together the egg and milk.
- Add this mixture, a little at a time, to the dry ingredients until a sticky dough is formed.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a round 3/4-inch thick.
- With a cookie cutter, stamp out rounds.
- (I use a drinking glass approx. 2" diameter) Transfer rounds to a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 12- 15 minutes until golden.
- Serve with jam and cream.