1/1 Photo of Avocado Stuffed With Crabmeat Maison, or Cold Crab Salad
I made this recently when our supper club decided to brunch instead of supper; everyone loved it. The recipe comes from a cookbook from one of the oldest and most loved New Orleans fine dining restaurants (Galatoire's); it would be perfect for any brunch or luncheon. It calls for iceberg lettuce, which I usually hate, but they insist on using it b/c the dressing works better, so I did. Also, use very good crabmeat. I am not including the dressing recipe in the ingredients/directions b/c it makes more than you need for this salad, but I am writing it out here b/c it is simple and necessary (and you will want to drizzle it on the finished salad): Creole Mustard Vinaigrette 1/3 c red wine vinegar, 1/2 c creole mustard, 2/3 c vegetable oil, salt and pepper to taste, whisk together in small bowl.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon creole mustard (or 1 tablespoon any coarse grainy brown mustard)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, fresh
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup nonpareil capers, drained
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, curly, fresh, chopped
- white pepper
- 1 lb lump crabmeat
- 4 avocados, ripe and soft
- creole mustard vinaigrette (see above)
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, cut into large ribbons
- 2 large tomatoes, fresh and cut into wedges
- 1Crabmeat Maison:.
- 2Combine egg yolks, vinegar, mustard, and lemon juice in mixing bowl, and whisk together (until well combined); whisk in oil slowly until emulsified (this might work better in food processor, but I did by hand).
- 3Fold in capers, parsley, and onions, and season with salt and pepper. Chill for 2 to 4 hours.
- 4Shortly before serving, gently fold in crabmeat, taking care not to break any of the lumps; set aside.
- 5Stuffed Avocado Salad:.
- 6Slice the avocados lengthwise, and remove the pits. Peel and set the 8 halves aside.
- 7Create a bed of lettuce on 8 chilled plates. Nest the avocado halves in the center of the lettuce covered plates.
- 8Evenly divide the Crabmeat Maison into the cavities of the avocados, forming little mounds.
- 9Add a wedge of the tomato to each plate, and drizzle with the Creole Mustard Vinaigrette.
- 10Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Avocado Stuffed With Crabmeat Maison, or Cold Crab Salad
Serving Size: 1 (327 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 502.6
- Calories from Fat 397
- Total Fat 44.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 95.4 mg
- Sodium 383.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 16.8 g