Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and 1/2-inch diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup small diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno peppers, seeded (2 peppers)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 1⁄4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (2 limes)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 ripe Hass avocadoes, seeded, peeled, and 1/2-inch diced
- Place the tomatoes, yellow pepper, black beans, red onion, jalapeno peppers, and lime zest in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, salt, black pepper, garlic, and cayenne pepper.
- Pour over the vegetables. Toss well.
- Just before you're ready to serve the salad, fold the avocados into the salad. Check the seasoning and serve at room temperature.
I love this salad! It's got a little bite to it, yet the fresh tomatoes, lime and black beans mellow and compliment the spiciness just perfectly. I have to admit that I accidentally forgot to add the black beans when I served it last night. When I realized it this morning, I added an appropriate amount to the leftover salad, photographed and ate it. Aside from the avocado being a little less pretty, the leftovers were even better, as the dressing ingredients had married well overnight. I had mini bell peppers to use up, so I used both orange and yellow peppers in this recipe. With and without beans, this was a refreshing and delicious salad. It's also very beautiful and was complimented on that as well. Thanks for sharing this recipe, X! Made and enjoyed for Spring 2012 Pick A Chef. You've been adopted! :D