Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
Greek Lemon Chicken Soup.
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice, Meyer Lemon if possible
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 6 tablespoons chicken soup base (Low Sodium)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken meat
- 16 slices lemons
- 8 egg yolks
- In a large heavy bottom stock pot, combine the chicken broth, lemon juice, carrots, onions, celery, soup base, and white pepper. Bring to a boil on high, then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Blend the butter and the flour together. Then gradually add it to the soup mixture. Simmer for 10 minutes more, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg yolks until light in color. Gradually add some of the hot soup to the egg yolks, stirring constantly. Return the egg mixture to the soup pot and heat through. Add the rice and chicken. Ladle hot soup into bowls and garnish with lemon slices.