Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is an awesome recipe I found online at MexGrocer
Make and share this Authentic Refried Beans recipe from Food.com.
- Put beans and water into Dutch oven.
- Soak at least six hours.
- Pour beans into colander and rinse thoroughly.
- Add two cups water back into the Dutch oven, along with bacon grease, garlic powder, bouillon and chili powder.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat, simmering for about four to six hours.
- Stir occasionally.
- You'll know when the frijoles are done because they'll be very tender.
- Mash until about only half are left whole.
I tried just to make some dried pinto beans in my pressure cooker for the first time and they came out so squishy that I just blended them all up in my food processor and then cooked them with all your ingredients. I added a little cumin and lime juice and I just can't quit eating it!
Perfect refried beans! This was my first time making them and they were much better than canned. I added 1 tsp cumin also. I soaked them overnight and all day and they only had to cook for about 3 hours. I had to add 4 cups of water to boil, no way would 2 be enough. I uncovered the pot for the last 30 minutes and they thickened just enough. Thanks!