Tried looking for a recipe on recipezaar for goulash, but couldn't find the true thing. This is the real deal. That crock-pot mess with ground beef, tomatoes, and mushy macaroni is NOT goulash. Whoever started that idea or started calling it that should be ashamed of themselves. Real Goulash has NO tomatoes... the red-orange flavor comes from Hungarian Paprika. --adapted from June Meyer's recipe-- thanks!
- 2 lbs beef chuck, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 onions, quartered
- 2 tablespoons lard or 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 -4 tablespoons sweet paprika (most important to use real hungarian paprika for ultimate flavor)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 quart water or 1 quart beef broth
- 1 cup dill pickle, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 potatoes, diced
- potatoes, kluski, spatzle (whatever you want!) or egg noodles (whatever you want!)
- sour cream
- in dutch oven or electric skillet: roll beef in paprika, saute in fat.
- Add rest of ingredients, except sour cream.
- Bring to slow boil, cover, and simmer for 3-4 hours, checking liquid levels.
- When done, serve over hot buttered noodles or potatoes -- top w/ sour cream.