1/2 Photos of Authentic Baked Ziti
1 hr 30 mins
Baked Ziti is a wonderful dish all its own. When done correctly, it is actually very different from lasagna. If you get good ingredients and follow this recipe, you will end up with a delicious and unique authentic Italian meal that tastes like nothing you've ever had before! A word about the ingredients: fresh mozzarella cheese is not the same thing as part-skim mozarella cheese. Use fresh mozarella in this recipe. Marzano tomatoes are a must for this recipe as well, but in a pinch, Progresso whole Italian tomatoes will do. Fresh herbs can be found in the produce section of most stores, but dried herbs can be substituted.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ziti pasta
- 1 lb fresh mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 1/2 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 28 ounces whole peeled san marzano tomatoes
- 6 ounces marzano tomato paste
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh basil
- 2Remove the sausage casings and crumble the sausage.
- 3Add 2 teaspoons of olive oil to a pan, and brown the sausage.
- 4Puree the tomatoes in a blender (not too much).
- 5Add onions and garlic to now-browned sausage. Cook for a few more minutes until transparent.
- 6Add your tomato puree to the sausage.
- 7Add thyme and basil to sauce.
- 8Add some salt and pepper to taste.
- 9Add a generous pinch of the pepper flakes.
- 10Stir this up, heat to near-boil, then let it simmer covered on low for 15 minutes.
- 11BUILDING THE DISH.
- 12Boil your ziti pasta to not quite al-dente. Don't overboil, pasta will soften while baking.
- 13Cut the mozarella, half of it into 1/2 inch cubes, the other half in as thin of slices as you can manage.
- 14Remove the herb sprigs from the sauce and discard.
- 15Add the can of tomato paste to your sauce to thicken it up and give it a lively red color and more intense flavor.
- 16Add the pasta, your sauce, the cubed mozarella and half the parmesan in a baking dish.
- 17Top with the sliced mozarella and the remainder of the parmesan.
- 18Bake for about 30 minutes until golden.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Authentic Baked Ziti
Serving Size: 1 (312 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 841.9
- Calories from Fat 359
- Total Fat 39.9 g
- Saturated Fat 17.9 g
- Cholesterol 103.7 mg
- Sodium 1758.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 47.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: