Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is my take on a traditional Australian meal. They kind of remind me of little sloppy joe pocket pies. Very tasty!
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed but cold
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon McCormick grill seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Heat oil and butter in large skillet. brown ground beef with the onion and green pepper, about 5-7 minute Drain fat.
- Add flour and cook a minute more.
- In a bowl, combine tomato paste, worcestershire, brown sugar, grill seasoning and broth. Stir into meat mixture.
- Let simmer 10 minute until flavors meld. Take off heat and let cool a bit while you prepare pastry dough.
- Combine egg and water for egg wash.
- Roll cool pastry dough into sheets and cut each into 4 squares.
- Brush edges of pastry square with egg wash and place 2-3 tbs. of meat mixture in center and fold into triangles.
- Place onto pan and bake 12-15 minute or until pies are golden brown.
- Serve with ketchup.
you can't go wrong with sloppy joes in puff pastry!! excellent recipe, would make again and again! i always add minced garlic and serrano peppers to me sloppy joe mixture! thanks for posting such a clever keeper, klboyle!!
Pretty good. add salt and pepper to the mix, and good for leftovers!