Recipe by ChrissyVas80
I have no clue where my aunt got this recipe from but it is the only way I make meatloaf! I have loved it since I was a teenager.
Top Review by Gabby LSW
We really LOVED this recipe. I was doubtful when I first put it in the oven as the sauce seemed really 'vinegary'. It turned out well. Probably would have been even better if my nutmeg wasn't old, I tossed that one and got a new one at the store the next day. The nutmeg gave it a nice unique taste. This will definitely go in my meatloaf file! Thanks for sharing this! Made for Fall PAC 2009
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can Hunts tomato sauce (note, only use half and save the other half for sauce.)
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb (2 slices of any bread chopped)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 (14 ounce) canhunts' tomato sauce (use the saved half from above)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- In small bowl beat egg, salt 1/2 the can of hunts' tomato sauce. Then add chopped bread crumbs, mix well and set aside.
- In large bowl combine meat, chopped onions. Add bread crumb mixture and mix well. Spray one loaf pan with Pam or cooking spray of your choice and put meat mixture in pan and top with sauce. (For sauce see below).
- Combine all sauce ingredients, mix well then pour over meat mixture and bake at 350°F for 1 hour and 40 minutes. (Fresh green salad and veggies go well with this meal!).