Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 15 lbs green tomatoes (2 gal;Green tomatoes should be fresh picked and sliced.)
- 1 cup pickling salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon powdered alum
- 2 quarts boiling water
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 5 cups sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cloves
- Arrange the tomatoes in layers in a large bowl or pickle crock, sprinkling the salt between the layers.
- Let stand overnight.
- The next day, drain, sprinkle with the alum, and pour the boiling water over them.
- Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Drain, rinse, and drain again.
- In an enamel or stainless stell preserving kettle combine cider vinegar, sugar and the spices, tied in a cheesecloth bag. (The spice bag should be kept in the syrup right up to the very end.) Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved and boil rapidly for 3 minutes.
- Pour the syrup over the tomatoes and let stand overnight.
- Next day, drain off syrup and bring to a boil.
- Pour over tomatoes and let stand again overnight.
- On the fourth day, put syrup and tomatoes into the kettle, bring to a boil and simmer until the tomatoes are transparent.
- Pack the tomatoes into hot jars.
- Boil the syrup until it becomes quite thick or spins a long thread.
- Remove the spice bag and pour the syrup over the fruit, filling the jars and seal.