Recipe by manushag
This recipe is from around 1945. I don't know the origin...my Mom has it listed as 'My Sister's Cheesecake' on her recipe cards. It is a simple recipe with only 5 or 6 ingredients, but it is very light and creamy and totally delicious. You can make a smaller cake by using two packages of cream cheese and reducing sugar to 1/2 cup and using 2 eggs, or make a larger one by increasing to 4 cream cheese and using one cup sugar and 4 eggs.
- 10 graham crackers
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 24 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 16 ounces sour cream (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grind graham crackers in food processor.
- Add 3 Tbl sugar and stir, then add melted butter.
- Press into the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan.
- Separate eggs reserving yolks. Beat egg whites in stand mixer until firm stiff peaks but not dry.
- Remove whites to a separate bowl and beat yolks with sugar.
- Add vanilla and add cream cheese, one at a time until incorporated and beat for about 10 minutes on medium speed.
- Fold in egg whites gently until incorporated.
- Reduce oven to 300°.
- Pour into springform pan and bake for about 40-45 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix sour cream with sugar and 1/2 tsp vanilla.
- After removing cake from oven, increase oven temp to 400°.
- Cool cake for about 10 minutes and then add topping.
- Bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely before serving.
- We like our cheesecake room temperature, but, of course, feel free to chill in the frig if you prefer.