Cook1 hr 25 mins
This is an old family recipe. Great when you have lots of tomatoes to can! Very yummy with or without alcohol!
- 30 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and quartered
- 2 1⁄2 cups green peppers, chopped
- 1 3⁄4 cups carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Tabasco sauce (to taste)
- Cook tomatoes, celery, carrots, onion, green peppers, garlic, bay leaf, and parsley in a large pot until mushy, approximately 30-45 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Working in batches, place the vegetable mixture into a blender and puree.
- Using a spatula, press each pureed batch through a fine sieve to remove any extra seeds.
- Place back in a large pot and add the sugar, lemon juice, worcestershire sauce, salt, and tobasco (1/2 T. tobasco is very mild, so you may wish to add more now or add when mixing your drink).
- Heat this to a boil.
- Pour into clean quart jars and add prepared lids.
- Process in a boiling water canner for 40 minutes.