Summer Squash Delight.........Colossal Summer Flavor!
Make and share this Aunt Fannie's Summer Squash Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- Wash squash, cut in half lengthwise, then in 1/4-inch slices.
- Combine with chopped onion and cook in water to barely cover until both are tender.
- Drain thoroughly, pressing out excess water with back of spoon.
- Mash squash and onion with potato masher.
- Mix with half the butter, the cracker crumbs, eggs, sugar, to taste, salt and pepper.
- Pour into greased casserole dish.
- Pour remaining butter on top and sprinkle with additional cracker crumbs.
- Bake at 375F for 45-60 minutes, or until top is golden brown and bubbly.
- NOTE: This recipe is from a restaurant in Smyrna, Georgia called Aunt Fannie's Cabin.
- Aunt Fannie was a freed slave of an old Georgia family who remained with the family until her death.
- The menu at the Cabin represented many of the dishes that Aunt Fannie prepared for the family.