Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
My great-aunt Clara would serve these rice balls as appetizers, but I could make a whole meal out of them they're so good! A great idea for leftover rice which served with a salad, makes a lite-comfort meal.
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 3 tablespoons parsley (chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese (grated)
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup flavored breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- cooking oil
- Mix cold sticky rice with 1 egg beaten, parsley, parmesan, mozzarella, salt and pepper.
- Use Ice cream scoop to scoop up a rice ball.
- Hand roll ball; roll in flour; dip in beaten egg and roll in bread crumbs.
- Heat 1" cooking oil in pan on stovetop over Medium-high heat and brown until golden.
- Drain on paper towels and serve warm.
- Leftovers do well in microwave.
I love rice balls from Italian restaurants so when I saw this recipe, I absolutely had to try it out. I have to say, I don't know how anyone gets these to stay together. I found it near impossible, they fell apart by the time I would get to the bread crumbs. I had to add like 3 more eggs to the mixture to even get them to remotely stay in a ball shape. Even then, I had a very hard time dipping them in 3 different things. I got frustrated and just ended up mixing the breadcrumbs into the mixture and just made them into balls that way. Half the batch was made the way that's stated here, and half are just like rice meatballs I suppose. The flavor is OK, but these are nothing like you can get in an Italian restaurant. Considering how much work these were and still seemed impossible to make, I'll stick to just buying them already made and save myself the aggravation.
Very, very good, these taste even better than my Italian mother in law's! I will admit, it is tricky to roll these and bread them, but if you do it slowly and instead of rolling them in the dry coating, pour or sift the flour or breadcrumbs over the rice ball in your hand, patting gently the dry ingredients onto it. this lessens the chance of them falling apart. Otherwise this recepie is very easy.
These were EXCELLENT!! Very easy, fun and quick to make. I did not have any trouble with the balls falling apart or the breading falling off. I will make over and over again!