Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
Make and share this Atkins Herb-Roasted Chicken With Lemon recipe from Food.com.
- 1 whole chicken, about 3 pounds, washed and patted dry
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 lemon, sliced into rounds, intact
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth, reduced-sodium
- Heat oven to 350°F Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper and thyme, inside and out. Loosen skin from breast with and index finger and stuff 2 slices of lemon and 1 tablespoon butter onto each side of the breast. Place remaining lemon in the cavity. Transfer chicken to a roasting pan. Roast 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes; basting occasionally. A instant meat thermometer should read 170 in the thickest part of the thigh (not touching bone). Transfer chicken to a cutting board; wait 10 minutes before carving to allow juices to redistribute. Pour off fat from pan. Place pan over 2 burners; pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil. Scrape up brown bits on bottom of pan. Cook 2-3 minutes. Pour over carved chicken.
This recipe produced a very moist and flavourful chicken. I baked the chicken in a corningware pan, so I didn't do the step of putting the pan over the burners, I used a pot instead. Seemed to work quite well... This is a lovely change from the plain roast chicken I usually make, thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for PAC Spring 2009.