Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Balsamic dressing and cream cheese makes this open-faced sandwich. When you want something a little different......
- 1 1⁄2 lbs asparagus, medium size, ends snapped and stems peeled
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tamari (or soy sauce)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced fine
- 1 green onion, sliced fine
- 1 small baguette, sliced into 1 1/2 inch slices
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened (or goat cheese)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped (or 1 T green onion tops)
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, chopped (or 2 tsp dried)
- salt (to taste)
- ground pepper (to taste)
- 6 radishes, sliced thinly (optional)
- In a steamer basket over boiling water, steam asparagus for 3-5 minutes or until fork tender, but NOT overcooked.
- Rinse immediately under cold water. Set aside until ready to use.
- SAUCE: Combine the balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar and garlic in a small saucepan. Add 2 tablespoons of water. Over medium heat, reduce by half.
- Add the green onion. Adjust seasoning.
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, chives and tarragon. Set aside.
- In a toaster oven or under a broiler, toast one side of each of the baguette slices.
- Spread each with a small amount of the cream cheese mixture.
- Arrange the asparagus, drizzle with vinegarette.
- Add desired seasoning of S&P.
- Add sliced radishes (optional).