Prep 10 mins
Cook 28 mins
This is a recipe from the issue of Mai 2006 of Coup de Pouce. This is an healthy dish.
Make and share this Asparagus Pilaf Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry tarragon or 1⁄2 teaspoon basil or 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 asparagus, cut in pieces
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- In a casserole, heat oil at medium heat. Add onion and tarragon, and cook, stirring from time to time, for about 3 minutes or until onion has soften. Add rice and stir.
- Add vegetable stock, water and salt. Reduce to low heat, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes. Add asparagus, cover and keep cooking for about 10 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid has absorbed. Add lemon juice and pepper and stir with a fork.
I made this with leftover cooked rice, so my cooking steps were a bit different but the ingredients were the same. The tarragon was a winner for me! Served with a pork chop smothered in mushroom gravy.
Good side dish. I used a can of chicken broth and rounded it out to 2 cups. Also used dried oregano and half a red onion. Great under fish!
Like other reviewers, I doubled the asparagus. I also used chicken stock instead of vegetable broth, because that is what I had on hand. This was really delicious, but I had to add additional liquids to get my rice tender. I added the asparagus stems as indicated, but waited 5 minutes to add the tips so they didn't fall apart. Loved the tarragon in this! Enjoyed this as a side to some fish tonight. Thanks for sharing a delicious recipe!