Recipe by blucoat
A simple, spring-time Umbrian recipe from Ursula Ferrigno published in this month's Gourmet magazine. Peas can be shelled and asparagus cut 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.
Top Review by Chef Kate
Fabulous combination of fresh, bright favors! I made this with frozen peas but am looking forward to making it with peas from our garden soon. I think this will also be delicious with other fresh herbs--mint, oregano etc. Thanks!!
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped shallot (about 2)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 lbs asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3⁄4 lb shelled fresh peas (2 1/2 cups, 1 3/4 pound in pods) or 1 (10 ounce) packagethawed frozen peas
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3⁄4 cup torn basil leaves (about a handful)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook shallots in butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until just tender, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in asparagus, peas, sea salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, then seal skillet with foil. Cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender but still slightly al dente, about 8 minutes. Stir in basil and sea salt to taste.