Recipe by AnitaL
Can be made ahead and refrigerated. Leftovers reheat well in microwave.
Top Review by hrtworms
Call it Penne & a Little Asparagus Casserole and it would be appropriate. Somewhat disappointed, as I made it pretty much according to the recipe and found it bland and all pasta. StacyMD and LazyChef made multiple additions which in hindsight, I should have heeded. It's not that the recipe is bad, I feel it's only a platform upon which to build a really good recipe. Next time, I'll start by cutting the penne to a 1/2 pound, and add some of the other ingredients like the onion, garlic, chicken, mushrooms that the others added by instinct.
- 1 lb asparagus, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 lb penne
- salt, pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add asparagus and cook 5 minutes. Remove and add penne and cook until al dente, about 10-15 minutes.
- Make white sauce with butter, flour and milk. Remove from heat and stir in mascarpone and 1/2 cup Parmesan. Season with nutmeg, cayenne, salt and pepper.
- Combine butter and breadcrumbs, stir in cheese.
- Stir together pasta, cheese sauce, nuts and mix well. Pour into 9x13 pan prepared with cooking spray and top with breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake at 350°F uncovered 30 minutes, longer if refrigerated.