Prep 1 hr
Cook 5 mins
These cucumbers are so tasty and addictive. This can be served as a side dish to almost any kind of meat. You can make it to any level of heat as you like. I love the crisp, crunchy, spicy and sweet taste that goes on all at once!
- 2 lbs kirby cucumbers, unpeeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Place in a bowl the cubed cucumbers and kosher salt, toss to coat.
- Let stand for 1 hour at room temperature.
- Transfer to colander, rinse lightly under cold running water, drain, and place in a bowl.
- Prepare dressing: In a wok or heavy saucepan set over moderate heat, heat sesame oil until hot.
- Add the red pepper flakes and cook, stirring 15 seconds.
- Add garlic, rice vinegar, and honey and stir-fry 30 seconds.
- Turn off heat, add cucumbers and toss to coat.
- Transfer to a bowl, let cool and chill for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Cucumbers will keep for up to one week.
This is tasty and used things I had on hand. I may cut back on the Sesame OIl a bit next time but since you really don't eat all of that oil, it's not as bad as it seems. A nice compliment to an asian themed meal.
This is a yummy dish. I served this with an Asian meal and it was the perfect accompaniment. Simple and very tasty. Thanks Grace Lynn for sharing. Made for Cookbook Tag.
We liked this a lot, but had to cut garlic down to 3 cloves because of family preference.. I'll make it again because it was easy and the honey added to the dressing made it very tasty.