Recipe by Daydream
These tasty morsels are always popular as an appetizer and team well with the sweet chili dipping sauce. Add more chilies to the sauce if you like it hot! You can obtain fish sauce (and also a sweet chili dipping sauce, if you prefer not to make your own) in an Asian food store. The fritters can also be served with my Thai Sweet Chili Sauce, posted separately.
Top Review by adopt a greyhound
Out of this world good. I used Recipe #26714 for the coconut milk, and I only had 1 c. bread crumbs so added panko crumbs. I would eat this every night if I could. I loved this so much it spoiled my Asian dinner salad.
Shrimp and Ginger Fritters
- 1 lb uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 2 1⁄2 cups coarse fresh breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons finely chopped ginger
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaf, chopped
- 1 egg
- 4 teaspoons fish sauce (nam pla)
- vegetable oil (for deep frying, preferably peanut oil)
Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce
- 1⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 kaffir lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped hot red chile (or 1 teaspoon sambal oelek)
Directions See How It's Made
- Shrimp and Ginger Fritters: Place the breadcrumbs and coconut milk together in a bowl, and set aside.
- Place the shrimp meat, ginger, cilantro, egg and fish sauce into a food processor bowl, and pulse until the mixture is combined.
- It is important not to over-mix or otherwise it will turn into a paste!
- Add the breadcrumbs, which by now should have absorbed all the coconut milk, and pulse until just blended.
- Heat the vegetable oil over high heat, or to 350 degrees F (180 C) in a deep-fryer.
- Drop rounded tablespoons of the mixture into the hot oil, and cook until golden brown on all sides, about 2 minutes.
- Do this in batches.
- As the fritters cook, remove from the oil with a slotted spoon, drain on kitchen paper, and keep warm in a low oven.
- Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce: Place all ingredients in a blender and whizz until blended and sugar is dissolved.
- Serve in a small bowl (it yields 1 cup) to accompany the Asian Shrimp and Ginger Fritters.