Prep 35 mins
Cook 5 mins
Posted for Zaar World Tour. Times are estimates.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs medium shrimp, peeled, de-veined
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup double-strength orange spice brewed tea, cooled
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon peeled finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- In a plastic bag, combine tea, honey, vinegar, soy sauce, ginger and pepper, to make marinade. Remove 1/2 cup marinade; set aside for dipping sauce. Add shrimp to marinade remaining in plastic bag, turning to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes.
- Remove shrimp from marinade; discard marinade. Thread shrimp onto 8 skewers, dividing evenly. Grill over medium hot coals 4 to 6 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and are just firm to the touch, turning once. Season with salt, to taste.
- Meanwhile, prepare dipping sauce by placing reserved 1/2 cup marinade in small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil 3 to 5 minutes or until slightly reduced. Stir in green onions.
We had a Mothers Day Shrimp on the grill cookoff, and everyone made a different recipe. This was the overall winner. Wonderful flavor. Easy to make. Will be making again and again!
This was really good, especially the sauce, which I reduced to a syrup, yummy! I made this with chicken, since that is what we had and also used green tea. I only used half of the liquid as marinade/sauce, and froze the other half for later use (it makes a lot).
I cut this recipe out of the Orlando Sentinel quite a while ago. It's incredible! I used Good Earth Original Sweet & Spicy tea.