Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
delicious, quick, low fat vegetarian take on Asian sweet corn and crab soup. Perfect work night dinner with vegetables. Fish sauce adds a great sublte umami flavor but you can substitute tamari, Braggs, or another savory salty flavoring. Optional garnish is finely diced sharp cheddar cheese.
- 3 cups corn (frozen or fresh)
- 4 -5 cups water
- 1 low-sodium chicken bouillon cube
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk (or fat free)
- 3⁄4 cup firm tofu, diced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (nam pla)
- 3 tablespoons dried shiitake mushrooms (ground into a powder or diced finely)
- 3 tablespoons sugar (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder (or fresh minced garlic, (to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1. Combine corn, water, bouillon, mushrooms, and garlic in large pot. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- 2. Blend approximately two-thirds of soup to create creamy texture. Cook on medium for 10 minutes (or more) so soup is simmering/at a low boil.
- 3. Add sugar and fish sauce, stir, let cook several minutes and then taste. FIsh sauce will add a wonderful umami flavor and meld with the other flavors.
- 4. Measure out cornstarch, add a small amount of milk, stirring until makes a smooth paste. Pour rest of milk into paste, stir and add to soup. Add diced tofu. Add black pepper to taste. Bring soup to a boil for 1 minute and serve.