Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a great warm weather main-dish salad. Originally from the Parade magazine in the Sunday Houston Chronicle. Savoy cabbage has a more mellow flavor than common cabbage, which also works in this recipe. The dressing adds authentic Asian flavor. Both the salad and dressing may be prepared in advance, then tossed together when you're ready to serve it.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice (or lemon juice)
- 1⁄4 savoy cabbage, cored and very thinly sliced (tough outer leaves removed)
- 2 ounces raw snow peas, thinly slivered
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced (including 4 inches of green)
- 1⁄4 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon smooth peanut butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 egg yolk
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine the chicken, sesame oil,chili sauce, garlic, ginger,and lime juice in a bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, tossing once.
- Cook the chicken on a well-oiled grill over high heat until cooked through, 5 minutes per side.
- Cool slightly, then cut into thin strips.
- Place in a large bowl; add the cabbage, snow peas, scallions, bell peppers and cilantro; reserve.
- Prepare the dressing:.
- Place all the dressing ingredients in a blender;process on high until smooth.Adjust the seasonings to taste. Makes 1 cup.
- Refrigerate, covered, until ready to use.
- Toss the salad with 1/3 cup of the dressing or as desired.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately.
- *Extra dressing may be stored in the refrigerator for two days.
Looking for something different and this recipe hit the spot. Just the right amount heat in the marinade. Chicken was excellent. Thank you for posting the recipe.