Recipe by Manami
A great new interpretation of a New Orleans classic that combines Asian flavors to make a VERY tasty appetizer. The mayonnaise is great on sandwiches and amazing on a tuna fish salad or sandwich! Maria Elena is having an Asian meal & this is what she is serving for an appetizer with other odds & ends. Didn't allow for cooling time.(Use Emeril Lagasse's Essence or Creole Essence / Bayou Blast for the Essence seasoning) Emerils.com This may not be hot enough for a few of you - so why not add some of your magic potion and make it hotter; some hot chile pepper?
Top Review by Gaia22
Ooh, this was Delicious!! I split the recipe in half no problem. I think I would split the mayo recipe in half even if I was using the full 2lbs shrimp as well. I cheated on the mayo and just added the flavor ingredients to already-made Hellman's! Still the mayo was delicious!! And the leftover mayo will be a wonderful addition to tomorrow's sandwich :). I also used black pepper instead of white. On the shrimp, I subbed a dash of cayenne for the crushed red pepper & this worked out fine. I was impressed with how flavorful these shrimp ended up with only being in the 'soup' for 4 minutes! Will make this again; Thanks for sharing! [Made & Reviewed for Unrated Asian Tag]
- 2 inch piece peeled fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 3 lemons, halved and juiced, shells reserved
- 118.29 ml low sodium soy sauce
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 4 bay leaves
- 29.58 ml chopped green onions (green and white parts)
- 9.85 ml chopped garlic
- 14.79 ml salt (optional)
- 4.92 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 9.85 ml crushed red pepper flakes (more if needed)
- 907.18 g large shrimp or 907.18 g jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 9.85 ml essence seasoning (use Emeril Lagasse's Essence or Creole Essence / Bayou Blast)
SPICY ASIAN MAYONNAISE (use 1 cup spicy mayo)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 9.85 ml fresh lemon juice (please not the bottled stuff, please)
- 4.92 ml minced fresh ginger
- 2.46 ml minced green onion (both the white & green parts)
- 236.59 ml vegetable oil
- 14.79 ml soy sauce (low sodium)
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2.46 ml fresh ground white pepper
- 2.46 ml sesame oil
- 1.23 ml salt (taste to see if needed) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine 6 cups water with the ginger, lemon shells, lemon juice, soy sauce, sugar, bay leaves, green onions, garlic, salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper in a large heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Season the shrimp with the Essence and add to the boiling mixture.
- Cook for 2 minutes, remove from the heat, and steep for 2 minutes.
- Remove the shrimp with tongs or a slotted spoon and transfer to a large platter to cool.
- When cool enough to handle, serve, either warm, at room temperature, or chilled, with the Asian Mayonnaise.
- ASIAN MAYONNAISE: (Make ahead).
- Combine the egg yolk, lemon juice, ginger, garlic and green onions in a food processor and process 15 seconds.
- With the motor running, slowly add the vegetable oil through the feed tube.
- The mixture will thicken.
- Add the soy sauce, cilantro, pepper, sesame oil and salt.
- Pulse once or twice to blend.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for no more than 24 hours before using.