Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Pretty little stuffed red potatoes from Gourmet 2008. These have creamy centers of garlic, asiago, and basil. I mixed the scooped out centers of the potatoes with the left over cheese/garlic/mayo and heated that in a ramekin next to the potatoes.
- 16 small Red Bliss potatoes (about 2 inches in diameter)
- 12 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 10 large basil leaves
- 1⁄2 lb asiago cheese, grated
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Generously cover potatoes and 1 tablespoon salt with cold water in a medium pot, then simmer until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain potatoes and rinse with cold water. Cool to room temperature in refrigerator, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook garlic in oil at a bare simmer in a small heavy saucepan, stirring occasionally, until tender and golden, about 12 minutes.
- Drain garlic, reserving oil for another use, then mash to a paste.
- Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.
- Mince basil, then stir together with garlic paste, cheese, mayonnaise, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a small melon-ball cutter or a teaspoon, scoop out a hole in each cooled potato, leaving a 1/4-inch shell.
- Stuff potatoes with cheese mixture and bake in a pan until cheese is melted and bubbling, about 20 minutes.
Here I am back at the recipe because now my family is begging me to make them for Christmas. Two other people had this recipe before Thanksgiving was over.
These potatoes are amazing! I've made them several times now. Everyone loves them. They are quite rich, but super yummy.
Very filling, but delish nonetheless. Great idea to use the leftovers too! DS2 ate 2 of them, so i could say they were a success here. Made for ZWT4 for the Tastebud Tickling Travellers.