Recipe by cookiedog
Pretty little stuffed red potatoes from Gourmet 2008. These have creamy centers of garlic, asiago, and basil. I mixed the scooped out centers of the potatoes with the left over cheese/garlic/mayo and heated that in a ramekin next to the potatoes.
- 16 small Red Bliss potatoes (about 2 inches in diameter)
- 12 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 10 large basil leaves
- 1⁄2 lb asiago cheese, grated
- 1 cup mayonnaise
Directions See How It's Made
- Generously cover potatoes and 1 tablespoon salt with cold water in a medium pot, then simmer until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain potatoes and rinse with cold water. Cool to room temperature in refrigerator, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook garlic in oil at a bare simmer in a small heavy saucepan, stirring occasionally, until tender and golden, about 12 minutes.
- Drain garlic, reserving oil for another use, then mash to a paste.
- Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.
- Mince basil, then stir together with garlic paste, cheese, mayonnaise, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a small melon-ball cutter or a teaspoon, scoop out a hole in each cooled potato, leaving a 1/4-inch shell.
- Stuff potatoes with cheese mixture and bake in a pan until cheese is melted and bubbling, about 20 minutes.