Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Got this low fat recipe from on line and tweaked!
Make and share this Artichokes Chilled With Champagne Vinaigrette recipe from Food.com.
- Slice about 1 inch off the top of each artichoke and trim the stems. Remove the tough outer leaves and trim any sharp, thorny leaf tips with scissors. Put about 2 inches of water in a large pot with garlic and lemon, insert a rack or steamer basket into the pot and bring the water to a boil. Meanwhile, prepare an ice bath.
- Place the artichokes on the rack (stem end down) and steam uncovered, until the bottom is tender and the outer leaves can be pulled off easily, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove the artichokes with a large spoon and plunge them into the ice bath. Drain and refrigerate until serving time. (Turn the artichokes upside down and leave them upside down in the refrigerator so that all of the water drains from the leaves.).
- (The artichokes can be cooked in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.).
- In a small bowl, whisk the Champagne vinegar and lemon juice together. Add the herbs & shallots and slowly whisk in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- (The vinaigrette can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.).
- Serve the artichokes with a martini glass with a bowl of vinaigrette to dip the leaves inches.
Artichokes are in season and this was a starter dish for a small get-together. I really enjoyed the fact that I could prepare them ahead of time and then when company arrived serve them up with ease. After cutting the 1-inch top off, I used a melon baller and removed the hairy choke as well as rubbing the cut portion with some lemon juice to prevent discoloration. Steamed these in my pasta pot as instructed. Another great recipe for artichokes.
We love artichokes and are always looking for new recipes and this one is great. Very nice dip. Thanks!
We did this recipe to go with Sole Francese, #76402, and it was absolutely fantastic. Made four times what the recipe said to, because it was going on a salad, but it was really great!!! Thanks!!