Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This comes from Sunset Magazine most requested Thanksgiving Recipes, created by Leslie Parsons in 1994. Up to 1 day ahead, make stuffing, put in casserole, cover and chill. Allow about 1 hour to bake.
- 1 lb mushroom (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions (chopped-about 1/4 lb.)
- 1 cup celery (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons garlic (minced)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb sourdough bread (cut in 1/2-inch cubes)
- 2 (6 ounce) jars marinated artichoke hearts (drained and chopped)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese (freshly ground for best taste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg
- In a frying pan cook mushrooms, butter,onions, celery,oil and garlic until vegetables are lightly browned (about 15 min), pour in a large bowl.
- Add a bit of broth to pan and stir to scrape up browned bits, add to bowl.
- Pour 2 cups broth into bowl and add bread, artichoke hearts, parmesan, poultry seasoning and rosemary; mix well, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Make a well in stuffing, add beaten egg, stir to combine.
- Spoon stuffing into a shallow 9x13 pan bake at 325-350 degrees about 50 minute until lightly browned.
- For moist stuffing cover, for crudsty stuffing do not cover.