Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Your friends will love you for making these artichoke appetizers! They are worth the effort. Great do ahead recipe, they freeze well I like to use 1 6oz jar in oil and 2 6oz jars in water or you may substitute 1 10 oz can for 2 6 oz jars. it works even if you are 2 oz short. Be sure to drain extremly well or the filling will be mushy
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup cottage cheese (creamed type)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 3⁄4 teaspoon tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 (6 ounce) jars artichokes, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated (do not use the ready prepared half sawdust type)
- 1⁄2 cup soda cracker crumbs
- 15 sheets phyllo pastry sheets
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a skillet and saute the onions until soft do not brown.
- add garlic, stir.
- Beat cream cheese and the cottage cheese until well mixed.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Add garlic salt, parsley, tarragon & pepper.
- Beat to mix well.
- Add onions and any left over butter drippings.
- Add artichokes, parmesan & cracker crumbs, stir.
- Lay out the filo sheets & brush with melted butter, stack 5 sheets (you'll end up with 3 rolls).
- Put 1/3 mix on one end of each stack & roll up tucking edges of sheets around the filling.
- Using a very sharp knife cut each roll into 10 pieces. If you are going to freeze the rolls leave the cut pieces together still forming the roll, wrap in plastic wrap and then foil & Freeze. Defrost before baking
- When you are ready to bake them preheat oven to 350F Separate the rolls into the pieces , lay cut side up on a lightly gresed cookie sheet Bake for 20-30 minutes or until nicely browned Serve warm