I couldn't find arepa flour near me, so I decided to improvise and came up with this recipe. It still tastes just as good. I promise.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring the milk to a boil in a small pan. Add butter. Let stand and cool slightly.
- 2Grind frozen yellow corn kernels in a food processor. You can find arepa flour at many Latin and Mexican markets. If there isn’t one near you, grind corn meal 1/4 cup at a time in your blender, and add 1/2 cup of flour.
- 3In a large bowl, mix the ground corn, arepa flour or cornmeal, salt, sugar, and mozzarella. Make a well in the center and gradually add the hot milk and butter mixture. Stir until there are no lumps. Work the dough until it is smooth and sticky.
- 4Take the rest of the butter and heat it on a frying pan. Drop arepa mix in rounded tablespoon fulls on to the pan. Fry on each side 3-5 minutes until browned.
- 5To serve, butter the arepa and dd extra grated mozzarella cheese or queso blanco on top. If you made the arepa slightly larger, you can cut a slit in the middle and stuff them with the cheese. Otherwise, you can take two arepas, add the cheese in the middle and eat them like a sandwich.
- 6You may also make the pancakes only and store them in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to serve. Just lightly butter two pancakes, put a slice of cheese in between, and heat on the griddle at low heat until the cheese melts.
Nutritional Facts for Arepas Con Queso
Serving Size: 1 (109 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 284.0
- Calories from Fat 125
- Total Fat 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 39.3 mg
- Sodium 291.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 11.4 g
- Protein 7.7 g