Recipe by southern chef in louisiana
This is so simple to make and a very cheap dessert that will impress.
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 dash ground cinnamon
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) can apricot halves
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, cook rice according to package direction. Stir in milk, sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Stir a 1/2 cup of the hot mixture slowly into the eggs; return all back to the pan. Cook and stir for 15 minutes or until mixture coats a spoon (do NOT boil).
- Remove from heat. Stir in extracts and cinnamon.
- For sauce, drain apricot syrup into a saucepan. Chop the apricots and add to syrup. stir in remaining sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve sauce and custard warm or chilled.