Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe was found in the 2008 Taste of Home cookbook, Baking Classics.
- 2⁄3 cup dried apricot
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour, divided (1 cup & 1/3 cup)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F & grease an 8-inch square baking dish.
- In a small saucepan, cook apricots in water over medium heat for 10 minutes or until softened, then drain, cool & chop, before setting aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter & powdered sugar until light & fluffy, then gradually add 1 cup of the flour until well blended.
- Press into the prepared baking dish & bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat eggs & brown sugar until blended.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the baking powder, salt & the remaining 1/3 cup of flour, then gradually add this flour mixture to the egg mixture.
- Beat in the vanilla, then stir in the apricots & nuts before pouring this mixture over the crust.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until set, then cool on a wire rack.
- When cooled, if desired, dust with powdered sugar, then cut into bars. Store any left-over bars in the refrigerator.
These are terrific. Love the apricot! Made as directed. Thanks, Sydney Mike! Made for Veggie Recipe Swap, June VIP selection.
Made just as written, and these are awesome!!
This is very good!! Thank you, Sydney Mike, for this recipe.