Apricot Bars With Shortbread Crust
photo by 5thCourse
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter, cut into pieces (no subs)
- 4 ounces dried apricots, coarsley chopped
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
- powdered sugar
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 8x8-inch baking dish.
- For the shortbread crust: blend flour, sugar and salt together for about 10 seconds in a processor.
- Add in cold butter using on/off turns, and process until coarse meal forms.
- Press crumbs firmly into bottom of the pan.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the center is golden, remove and keep oven heat on to same temperature.
- To make the filling: place apricots in a small saucepan and add enough water to cover; bring to a boil and simmer until soft (about 4 minutes) drain, and set aside.
- In a small bowl sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Using an electric mixer beat eggs in a large bowl for about 2 minutes.
- Add in brown sugar and vanilla and beat until thick.
- Stir in flour mixture.
- Mix/mix in the apricots and nuts.
- Spread over the shortbread crust.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, or until puffed and dark golden brown.
- Cool in dish.
- Cut into small squares or triangles, and dust lightly with powdered sugar.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I would have given four stars, I guess because the apricot taste is not prevalent, but which I realise now is because it is a dried apricot recipe...but I took these to a meeting and it was almost like a drug! People got happy and addicted! They commented on the crunchy bottom paired with the chewy top and kept asking what was in it, they couldn't figure it out. So, thanks, Kittencal for making me a success:)