Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This makes a great dessert for Diwali, an Indian festival. I found this recipe in an old paper clipping but saved it up because its so yummy and almost everyone loves custard!
- 2 cups dried apricots, soaked overnight
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 liter milk
- 5 -6 tablespoons custard powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons walnut halves
- apricot kernels
- 6 mint leaves
- Remove the seeds and set the apricot kernels aside.
- Make custard using the milk and custard powder. Keep it aside to cool.
- Combine soaked apricots and sugar in a non stick pan. Cook on low-medium heat, stirring constantly, mashing the apricots as they cook.
- When the sugar melts and you get a thick mixture, add walnuts and remove from heat immediately. Mix well and set aside to cool.
- In a large glass serving bowl, spoon out the apricot mixture to make a base layer.
- Next, pour the custard over it to make the middle layer.
- Then pour the heavy cream and immediately refrigerate to set.
- Finally decorate with walnut halves, apricot kernels and mint leaves.