Recipe by Irmgard
This recipe from BBC Good Food is a new variation on an old favourite. I have adapted it for the bread machine.
- 450 g white bread flour
- 1 teaspoon bread machine yeast
- 50 g granulated sugar
- 150 ml warm milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 25 g butter, softened
- 85 g dried apricots, finely chopped
- 85 g sliced almonds, toasted
- 25 g brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the dough ingredients into the mixer of your bread machine in the order suggested by the manufacturer and set for the dough cycle.
- When the dough is ready, roll out on a lightly floured surface into a rough 20 cm by 30 cm rectangle.
- Spread the dough evenly with the soft butter, then sprinkle with the apricots, almonds and sugar.
- Roll up firmly like a Swiss roll from one of the long sides. Dampen the open edge to help it stick if you need to.
- Cut into 8 even slices with a sharp knife, shape into round pinwheels, then arrange in a greased 21 cm or 23 cm cake tin, cut side up.
- Cover with a clean, damp tea towel and let rise in a a warm place for about 20 minutes until roughly doubled in size.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree F oven for 10 minutes, then lower the temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for 10 more minutes until golden brown.
- Melt the jam with 1 tablespoons water, brush over the tops of the buns, then sprinkle with a few more flaked almonds.