Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Got this from another website...it's on my list to try.
- 1 cup old fashioned oats (not instant)
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- raisins (optional) or nuts (optional)
- Soak the oats in milk for about one hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Combine the oat mixture with the applesauce and egg white, mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl measure and whisk the dry ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just combined. Add nuts or raisins if desired.
- Do not over mix the batter or the muffins will be tough.
- Spoon muffin mixture into muffin pan.
- Combine the cinnamon and sugar.
- Top each muffin with some of the mixture.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until done.
- Remove from pan, cool and enjoy.
I was disappointed.i didn't taste applesauce and it wasn't sweet.the topping was't even enough.
Very good muffin idea. Easy to modify and still maintain a great muffin. I double the apple sauce and add a few more oats, then put in a generous amount of Crasins (cranberrys) yummy.
These are delicious!! I did make a few changes: I just added the cinnamon into the muffins instead of putting it on top (and I think I will experiment with more spices next time!), I added small chunks of Granny Smith apples instead of nuts or raisins, and I only had to cook them for about 15 minutes in my oven. I will absolutely be making these again and again! Delish!