Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
I haven't tried this one yet...but it looks like you can't go wrong! I found this online...I just can't remember where!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons powdered unsweetened cocoa (use less if you wish or leave it out entirely for more of a spice cake)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mace
- 20 ounces unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- Mix dry ingredients together, then add the applesauce and stir.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 45-60 minutes, depending on the size of pan you use. (More for smaller, deeper pans, less for 9 x 13 pans.) It's done when a toothpick can be inserted and pulled out clean.
I've made this cake about 5 times in 3 weeks now. It's become my boyfriend's FAVORITE - and with the 0 fats, I can eat it as well! It's got a GREAT flavor, the texture is a bit firm towards chewy, but it's a winner of a recipe! I add a dash of allspice and nutmeg (but it's just fine as written). I also bake it on 330 - 335 instead of 325 in a bunt pan - dust with powdered sugar if company is coming by - otherwise, it will be gone in about 4 - 5 days with just the two of us eating it. The one major downside to this recipe is the amount of milk that gets consumed in the house seems to have gone up since I started making this cake.............
My family loves it and it's a great way to get rid of my applesauce surplus but I took off a star because it's more like spiced apple brownies or bread pudding than a cake. I cooked it for at least an hour but it's still is quite gooey (which isn't necessarily a bad thing!). Maybe it's because I used whole wheat pastry flour? I used chopped walnuts instead of raisins and sprinkled turbinado sugar mixed with cinnamon on top to give it extra crunch, which tasted great.
This is a wonderful, easy recipe with ingredients that are sure to be found in your cupboard. Its a perfect snack-type cake, heavy but moist and delicious. A mix of spice and chocolate - very yummy. Thanks for sharing. I'll be sure to bake this regularly.