Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From the 1961 "Lutheran Favorites" of St. James Lutheran Church, Howard Lake, Minnesota. Submitted by Mrs. August Speigner.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 large eggs (1/2 cup)
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- Combine shortening and flour and mix at lowest speed for 1 minute, guiding mixture into beaters with rubber scraper.
- Mixture will be crumbly and fluffy (if mixing by hand, use pastry blender or 2 knives).
- Add sure, baking powder, baking soda, and spices and 2 tablespoons applesauce.
- Blend well; add remaining applesauce until just blended.
- Add raisins and nuts, and pour into greased 9x12x2-inch pan.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes.