Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is such an easy and delicious apple square, you could even mix this by hand, it always turns out great, best of all, it is very inexpensive to make.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts
- set oven to 350 degrees.
- grease a 8-in square baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar; add the egg.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon; gradually add to the creamed mixture, beating just until combined.
- Stir in the apple and walnuts.
- Pour batter into greased baking dish.
- Bake for 30-35 mins, or until cake test done.
I'm home sick from work today and desperately wanted something warm, sweet and apple- & walnut-filled for breakfast. These really hit the spot! I doubled the recipe and added a little nutmeg, vanilla and lemon juice. Fantastic! Thank you for sharing :-)
Another great recipe, Kittencal. Thank you for posting.
Well kittencal, you saved my life this morning with this recipe- I was told this morning that we were going for lunch and should probably bake something..I had no brown sugar and only one egg in the house, and an hour to throw something together, and this recipe caught my attention. It went over really well, which is tricky as I was going to a filipino luncheon, and they're not big on really sweet baked desserts. This seemed to please us all. Tastes great, it was fast and easy. I took one star off because I wish it looked prettier- it was sort of bumpy looking with the apples and walnuts in it, and it wasn't high like a cake, but it still looked like a cake.. I don't know, I felt like I was bringing them a flat cake, and was having trouble explaining that it was a 'square' instead. Wonderful taste and smell though, the walnuts just made the whole thing.