Tastes Like Apple Pie Apple Squares!
From my favourite church cookbook, where all the recipes are tried and true! **Like most of the reviews state, if you don't want to fight with the pastry to make it fit a cookie sheet - make 1.5x the dough recipe or use a smaller pan.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 large egg yolk, slightly beaten, plus (save white)
- milk, to make 2/3 cup liquid
- 5 -6 apples, pared and sliced
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon water
- Mix flour and salt and cut in shortening. Add egg and milk mixture and mix till it forms a ball. Divide dough in half. Roll first half in 17 x 12 inch rectangle. Place in cookie sheet and bring pastry up sides.
- Cover pastry with apples and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon (homemade chunky applesauce also works well).
- Roll out second half of dough and place on top of apples. Moisten edges with milk and pinch together.
- Beat egg white until stiff and brush on crust. Bake at 400°F for 1 hour.
- Mix glaze ingredients together and brush on crust.
- This square freezes beautifully.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I didn't have enough pastry for the crust. I put it in a jelly roll pan. Next time I'll use 3 1/2 cups of flour and 1 1/2 Crisco. It's also best to combine the egg and liquid together before adding it to the flours mixture. I used a lot more apples too and increased the rest of the ingredients. I added nuts to the frosting. It was a hitReply
Great recipe! I had to make a few changes so my grandson could eat it (he can't have dairy or eggs). I omitted the eggs and the milk. I used 3 1/4 cups flour to 1 1/2 cups shortening, 1 1/2 tsp salt and roughly 2/3 cup cold water for the crust. For the filling, I used a little less sugar (which was half white and half brown) and I added 1/2 tsp nutmeg and about 2 tablespoons lemon juice. I used a 10x15 glass baking dish., and baked for 30-35 minutes. Perfect! The glaze was a nice touch. By the way, this is the only time I've made pie crust that I could actually fold in quarters to lay over my filling, without it ripping. I'd give you more stars if I could!Reply
see 24 more