Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
A very easy and tasty dessert. I make this often in the fall as I have 5 apple trees in the back yard which produce loads of apples.
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 3 apples, cored and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Melt butter in a 8” square baking pan.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Cover with apple slices.
- In large bowl, cream shortening and sugar thoroughly.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy.
- In another bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add to creamed mixture alternately with milk.
- Beat well after each addition.
- Pour batter over fruit.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes.
- Invert onto a serving plate.
- Serve with as is or with ice cream.
This was super good, and quite easy to prepare. I made it as stated but I did add 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon of cardamom, and it turned out delicious! Nice and moist too! Thanks for a great recipe. Made for Photo Tag 2010.