Recipe by Barb in WNY
Looking through some old recipes I've saved over the years I came upon this one. I use to make it all the time but forgot about it. I'm going to change that today.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 large apples, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1⁄3 cups cake flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Melt butter in an 8-inch square pan. Add brown sugar and nutmeg and blend well. Remove from heat. Arrange apple slices, slightly overlapping, on brown sugar mixture. Sprinkle apples with lemon juice and set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in shortening just to soften and add milk and vanilla. Mix until flour is dampened.
- Beat 2 minutes with electric mixer at medium speed. Add egg and beat 1 minute longer. Pour batter over apples.
- Bake 35 minutes, or until done. Cool cake in pan 5 minutes. Invert onto serving plate. Let stand 1 minute, then remove pan. Serve warm.