Apple Upside-Down Cake
photo by The Southern Belle
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup butter, plus
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon apple pie spice or 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 3 -4 apples, peeled, cored, and cut into rings
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg, separated
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Melt 1/4 cup butter in 8-inch square baking pan. Add dark brown sugar and spices, mix well.
- Arrange apple rings over brown sugar mixture on bottom of pan, then sprinkle with lemon juice. Set pan aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in remaining 3 Tbs butter with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add milk and vanilla to the mixture, and then beat at a low speed with mixer until dry ingredients are moistened. Continue beating 2 minutes at medium speed. Blend in egg yolk.
- In a small bowl, beat egg white at high speed until stiff peaks form; gently fold into batter, then pour over apples in pan.
- Bake 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 5 minutes. Loosen edges and invert onto serving plate. Let stand 1 minute before removing pan. Serve warm.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!