Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
Recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens Heritage Cookbook (1976) at the request of a Zaar member.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 6 cups tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup dried currant
- 1 egg white, beaten
- powdered sugar
- Stir together flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cut in the 1/2 cup butter till crumbly.
- Mix beaten egg and water; add to flour and stir well.
- turn onto lightly floured surface; knead 5 minutes.
- Halve dough.
- Cover and let stand 1 hour.
- Cover large table with floured cloth.
- On cloth, roll half dough to 15-inch square.
- Brush with 2 Tablespoons melted butter; let stand a few minutes.
- Starting from middle of square, carefully work underneath dough using backs of hands to gently stretch from one corner to the next till dough is paper thin and about 36 inches square.
- Brush dough with 1/4 cup melted butter.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon.
- Trim edges of dough; put half the apples along one side, 6 inches from edge.
- Sprinkle half the sugar mixture over apples; top with half the currants.
- Gently fold 6-inch piece of dough over filling.
- Slowly and evenly raise cloth behind filling, making dough roll away from you into a tight roll.
- Seal ends.
- Place on lightly greased 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1-inch baking pan; curve slightly to form crescent.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Brush tops of strudels with beaten egg white.
- Bake strudels at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Remove from pan; cool.
- Top with powdered sugar.
- *ForCranberry Strudel, use one 16-ounce package of cranberries, chopped, instead of apples; 2 cups sugar; and pecans instead of currants.
terrible strudel receipe......I have made hundreds of receipes from this site and this is the worst I have ever made.
These were great, but in the end they were a LOT of work. I would have rather made a homemade apple pie than go to the trouble of making these strudels. But they tasted really good.