1 hr 5 mins
A lovely apple cake
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 large granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into thin slices
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Place the hazelnuts on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until fragrant and the skins begin to flake. Remove from oven and place the hot nuts in a dish towel. Roll up the towel and let the nuts sit (steam) for a few minutes then rub the nuts in the towel briskly to remove the skins. Let cool.
- 3Butter an 8 inch spring form pan and line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
- 4In a large bowl, mix together ½ cup flour and ground cinnamon. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or fork until it resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the brown sugar and chopped hazelnuts. Set aside.
- 5In a separate bowl whisk together 1 cup flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- 6In another bowl cream the butter. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until incorporated. Add the flour mixture, alternately with the milk, and beat only until combined.
- 7Spread the batter into the bottom of the prepared pan, smoothing the top with a spatula.
- 8Evenly arrange the apple slices on top of the cake batter and then sprinkle with the streusel topping.
- 9Bake for about 45 - 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- 10Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool slightly.
- 11Serve warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream or softly whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Streusel Cake
Serving Size: 1 (106 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 255.8
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 43.6 mg
- Sodium 80.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 19.9 g
- Protein 3.5 g