Recipe by Potatoes Browning
This is a yummy recipe I got from a cookbook I got with my Marlboro points years ago. Who'd have imagined smoking could lead to something this good? I like using my cast iron skillet for this, although I get the occasional sticky spot. You can substitute butter or something healthier for the drippings, but I feel that if you love your food you should be willing to die for it.
Top Review by Kathy228
Very easy and tastes great! The cake part is a little thin but that doesn't effect the taste at all. And it's not too sweet. I put 1/2 tsp ground cardamom in the batter. I gave it 4-stars instead of five because I would have preferred it with peeled apples. I'll peel them next time and compare. Nice recipe.
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium baking apples, cored and sliced into 1/4 inch wedges
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup bacon drippings
- 3⁄4 cup milk or 3⁄4 cup cold coffee
- 1 large egg, whisked
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl mix 1/2 cup sugar, flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and cloves.
- In another bowl, combine apples and lemon juice. Add remaining sugar.
- Melt drippings in a 9-10" oven proof skillet (I use a cast iron one.).
- Add egg and coffee or milk to flour mix and mix well.
- Pour batter into skillet over the melted drippings. DO NOT MIX IT. Arrange the apple mix atop the batter.
- Bake at 350 inthe oven for 45 minutes until the batter is poofy and set and the apples are tender. Let cool for 20 minutes, then serve.