Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Apple pie that is a bit different from the traditional pie. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (August 1986)
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 1⁄4 lbs golden delicious apples, peeled,cored and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees F.
- In a food processor blend flour, sugar and salt. Add butter through food tube using on/off turns until coarse meal forms. Drizzle egg yolks over dough and mix until dough forms using on/off turns. DO NOT FORM INTO A BALL.
- Pat 3/4 of the dough into a 8-inch round tart pan (with removable bottom) or an 8-inch round cake pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix apple slices with sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Turn apple mixture into crust.
- Crumble remaining crust mixture over apples.
- Place pie on baking sheet in oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350-degrees F and bake another 20 minutes or until top is light brown and filling is bubbly.
- Cool at least 30 minutes before serving.
I made this for my family for Thanksgiving and they LOVED it so much I was asked to make it again for Christmas!
I was less than excited about this recipe. Peeling and slicing the apples took a REALLY long time and the end result for me was just okay. I added a 1/4 salt in the crust and should have in the apple mixture because it was a bit bland. Also, I should have cooked it longer I thiknk. HOWEVER, my kids absolutely LOVED it! My youngest actually wanting me to "teach her how to make it when she grows up"...I think it could have been improved by the simply adding a drizzle of caramel sauce accross the top.
WOW! This was fast prepared!
Your recipe for the shortbread is perfect, you will be sure that I will use this even for other pies!
I'm lucky to have a lot of apples ans I have been lucky as well to find your recipe here.
This recipe can be adjusted to different tastes for exaple simply changing the spieces or adding some berries or sultanas.
Thanks a lot for thiis great recipel. Done for PRMR