Prep1 hr 30 mins
A delicious sweet apple filling goes perfect with this tart, flaky cheese crust! Cooling time is not included.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 14 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 5 gala apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- For the crust:.
- Mix 2 1/2 cups flour, 2 teaspoons sugar and salt in a large bowl
- Cut in the butter using a fork until mixed.
- Cut in the grated cheese until mixed
- Pour water into the mixture and stir quickly, until the dough just comes together.
- Gather the dough into a ball and turn out of the bowl.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Divide the dough into two sections.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface, roll each into about a 13" circle.
- Transfer one circle of dough into the bottom of a 10" pie plate.
- For the filling:.
- Stir together apples, brown and white sugars, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt until mixed.
- Spoon the filling into the bottom crust.
- Dot the filling with cold butter and cover with the top crust.
- Fold the edges over and crimp them.
- Cut vents in the top crust and brush with the beaten egg.
- Bake the pie for 10 minutes at 450.
- Turn the temperature down to 350, bake for 45 minutes.
- Tent the pie with foil and bake 45 more minutes.
- Cool for about 1 1/2 hours and enjoy!