Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this apple pie recipe in Southern Living. Theres a few extra steps involved in making it but but the results are worth it. I will be making it again for Thanksgiving.
- 4 1⁄2 lbs granny smith apples (or Braeburns)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons apple jelly
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- wax paper
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Cornmeal Crust Dough
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter, cold, cut into pieces
- 1⁄4 cup shortening, cold, cut into pieces
- 8 -10 tablespoons apple cider, chilled
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425°F Peel and core the apples, cut into thick wedges. In a large bowl mix together the first 8 ingredients: apples, flour, apple jelly, lemon juice, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and sugar. Let stand for 30 minutes gently strirring every few minutes.
- Prepare the cornmeal crust. Stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar and salt into a large bowl. Cut butter and shortening into the flour mixture with pastry blender or fork until it resembles small peas. Mound the mixture into side of bowl. Drizzle half of the apple cider along the edge of the mixture in bowl. With fork gently toss a small amount of flour mixture with cider until dry ingredients are moistened. Repeat procedure with remaning cider and flour mixture. Gently gather dough into flat disks. Wrap in plastic and chill for 1 to 24 hours.
- Roll out one disk of dough into 1/8 inch thickness between two floured pieces of wax papers. Remove and discard top sheet of wax paper and place dough over a 9 inch glass pie plate removing the other sheet of wax paper.
- Stir apple mixture and reserve 1 tablespoons of juice. Spoon apples into crust, packing tightly and mounding in the center. Sprinkle apples with 3 tablespoons of sugar and dot with butter.
- Roll out the other disk of dough as directed before and place over filling. Fold edges under, sealing to bottom crust and crimp into fluted edges. Brush pie with reserved juice and sprinkle with sugar. Place pie on a jelly roll pan. Cut slits on top of pie to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 425 F on lower oven rack for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 F and move pie to the middle oven rack. Bake for 35 more minutes. Cover with aluminum foil to prevent crust from over browning and bake 30 more minutes. Pie is done when juices are thick and bubbly and crust is golden brown. Remove to wire rack to cool.
- Prepare the caramel-brandy sauce. Bring whipping cram to a light boil in large saucepan; stirring occasionally. Add the sugar; stirring occasinally for about 4-5 minutes until mixture is smooth. Remove from heat add butter, brandy and vanilla and allow to cool.
- Serve the apple pie with the caramel-brandy sauce.